top of page

10. Rouser Building (1913)

This brick construction replaced one of the last wood frame structures on the square. The original building boasted a saloon in 1885; by 1894, it was used for offices and a grocery store. Rehabilitation for retail space was completed in 2008.

Additional Information:

This brick construction replaced one of the last wood frame structures on the square. The original building boasted a saloon in 1885; by 1894, it was used for offices and a grocery store. Rehabilitation for retail space was completed in 2008.

Additional Information:

On August 1, 1912, the Williamson County Sun reported that Mr. Calvin Gray has bought the inventory of Mr. E. F. Booty, one of Georgetown’s oldest and largest merchants. Gray leased the building and the lot next door for five years. That lot was owned by Mrs. Mattie Rouser, who agreed to “remove the present frame building and erect in its place a brick one,.”

Mattie, a widow with two children, bought the lot and building in 1912 from E. F Booty for $600.

Fun Facts:

1. J. J. Patrick had a grocery store here during the 1890s that probably lasted until the wood frame building was torn down in 1912.

2. Mattie Rouser, who lived at the corner of Church and 7th, organized the children of Georgetown to work on projects to help the soldiers during WWI.

3. Mattie’s son, George Levi Rouser, married Miss Annie Dalton in Georgetown on 2/2/22 – February 2, 1922!

4. In the 1970s, this building owned by Carl Doering (GISD Board member for 6 years, City Councilman for 8 years and Mayor from 1984-86) housed the Urban Renewal Agency office.

Photo by David Valdez, 2023

Photo taken in 1984

J J Patrick_edited.jpg

2023

Quenan’s

www.quenansjewelers.com

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 1.46.42 PM.png
bottom of page