15. 714 S. Austin Ave (1889)
Constructed to house general merchandise, this building is a particularly fine example of limestone masonry. The rusticated ashlar façade is ornamented with cast iron columns attributed to “F. Heireman, Austin, Texas.” Note the segmented arched headers with keystones over the windows and an elegantly detailed pressed metal cornice. The mortar (nut missing pedestal) atop the front façade recalls Hodges brothers drugs, which operated in this building for several decades.
J. H Hodges owned a one-story frame building on this site before contracting with Whittle & Harrell to construct the current building in 1889. The building housed dry goods and general merchandise until the drug store opened in 1925.
1. The Racket Store was a popular five-and-dime that operated here in the 1910s.
IS this also Oh La La?
Oo La La
Photo by David Valdez, 2023
Photo taken in 1984