56. Evans Building (1902)
Hand-hewn limestone was used to exemplify the Romanesque Revival style, popular in Texas in the early 1900s. The three-dimensional quality of the richly carved details is a dramatic contrast to the utilitarian austerity of the Shafer Building next door. An early fire completely destroyed the interior, and the owners painted the stone storefront to cover smoke stains.
The 1-story frame building on this property was owned by Frank Evans as early as 1888 and in 1889 housed a tin shop in the north portion and a bootmaker in the south building. The tin shop added hardware to its stock when Ed Olive bought the business that same year. A grocery moved into the north building in 1894 and by 1900 there was a shop for “gent’s furnishings” in the south section.
The present building was designed in 1902 and in November of that year A. Rosebrough, Jeweler and Optician moved into the “new Evans building”. By 1910, Richardson’s Book Store and moved in and stayed there for many years.
1. The construction contract for the 1902 building was for $3365.
2. The Tartan Store, located here in the 1970s, sold everything from soup pots to charcoal starter and fresh deodorant. Their ads show that they accepted Bankamericard and Master Charge.
3. Pride Carpet operated here in the 1980s and the building was still owned by the Evans family.
Photo by David Valdez, 2023
The Escape Fine Crafts and Gifts