6. H.C. Craig Building (1903)
This pressed metal storefront is one of nearly 5,000 sold by the St. Louis firm of Mesker Brothers between 1884 and 1907. Marketed by catalog and shipped by rail, these metal fronts offered affordable yet stylish alternatives for the “public” facades of buildings. Note the repetition of motifs on this structure and the one next door. H. C. Craig Furniture Store opened in this building in 1903. Although the first floor was repeatedly altered through the years, historic photographs allowed an accurate reconstruction of the wooden storefront in 1982.
Originally there were two wood frame buildings on this site, each of them one story. The building on the west side offered a harness and saddlery store, hardware, jewelry and a billiards hall between 1885 and 1900. The east side building housed a furniture store, tin shop with plumbing in the rear and a feather cleaning company during the same time period.
Hugh Clifford Craig moved furniture business to this new building in 1903. When he sold his business to W. H. Davis in 1906, it allowed Davis to control most of the north side of the square for the next several decades.
Harry Gold bought the building in 1969 from Sam Henderson and in the 1980s restored it back to its original appearance.
1. The early building were named for Mr. McDaniel.
2. Henderson's Variety Store occupied the building from 1910 until 1969.
3. W. H. Davis served on the school board for 27 years and also served on City Council. He was also an undertaker and had a funeral home just off of the square.
Photo taken by David Valdez, 2023
Photo taken in 1984