top of page

62. 101 E. 7th St (1970)

The current structure replaced a noteworthy two-story limestone structure built in 1902 as a meeting hall for the local chapter of the International Order of Odd Fellows. As was typical, the Odd Fellows occupied the second floor and leased out the ground floor to retail tenants. The deteriorating structure was torn down for a new library building in 1970 and later renovated around 1988 for City Council Chambers and offices. The current structure is a renovation of that structure, replacing brick with a limestone façade designed to fit into the architectural style of   other buildings on the square. This 5,000 square foot building once housed the Municipal Court and City Council Chambers.

Additional Information: 

The 1-story frame building - housing a photo gallery, grocery and meat market, was replaced in 1902 by the impressive IOOF Hall built by Griffith Lumber Company. This building was lost to neglect and deterioration, allowing for the current building to be erected.

Fun Facts: 

1. When the Webb Brothers and W. H. Davis advertised their location here in 1902, they claimed to fill it "with the largest and best stock of dry goods ever brought to Georgetown".

2. They also prided themselves on their "ladies' resting room which will provide a great convenience and comfort to their customers, especially those from the country".

3. By 1910, the undertaker was located on the second floor of the building.

4. In the 1980s, this building was home to the Georgetown Public Library, thanks to the efforts of some amazing citizens.

2023

Tejas Meat Supply

www.tejasmeatsupply.com

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 6.14.58 PM.png
Tejas today.jpeg

Photo taken by David Valdez, 2023

tejas 1976_edited.jpg

Photo taken in 1984

IOOF hall.jpg

Early photo of previous building

bottom of page