37. The Emporium (1889)
Hand-tooled limestone piers define this one-story commercial building built in 1889 to replace a smaller two-story stone building. Remodeling has occurred at least three times in the 20th century. The most recent remodeling highlights the vertical glass panes in the three transom windows on the front façade. Originally occupied by a tailor/milliner, it has housed a meat market/sausage factory, confectionery, jewelry store and an ice cream factory.
There was a smaller 2-story building located here before 1889 that sold books and stationery. By 1889, the building had been altered, losing a level and extending further back on the lot.
1. In the 1980s, there was a store located here called Small World.
Georgetown Antique Mall