top of page

11. Bayer Building (1895)

Having begun as a dry goods store at the turn of the 20th century, this two-story limestone structure with brick façade and metal cornice sustains a lengthy tradition of retailing in downtown Georgetown.

​Additional Information:
The previous buildings on this site were a small one-story frame building on the south side and a two-story frame building on the north. The building on the south lot housed a barber, insurance office and grocery while the north building dry goods, furniture and offices on the second floor. The present building mostly housed dry goods stores for decades.

Hardware stores took over the building in its later days.

​Fun Facts:
1. Webb Brothers and Davis were located here before they moved to the IOOF Building.
2. E. F. Booty had a store here for many years.
3. The building was owned by Gladys Bayer in 1983 when a fire destroyed most of the interior.
4. P & K True Value Hardware was named for owners, Paul Newsom and Ken Olson.

Date: 2023

Image Credit: David Valdez, 2023

Date: undated

Date: 1984

bottom of page