David Love, a pioneer settler, was among those who signed the 1848 petition to form Williamson County. By 1883, this prosperous merchant had constructed this handsome limestone and pressed metal structure to house his dry goods business. Restored in 1983, the David Love Building features a second-floor office and apartment located above its prime retail space.
David Love married Mary Cluck and built a large two-story home at the corner of Church and 10th. In 1878, he joined other downtown business leaders such as Moses Steele, J.J. Dimmitt and Emzy Taylor, to organize the Georgetown Railroad Company which operated a tap line to Round Rock. Love was in business with his son-in-law, F. R. Scott, for several years until Scott opened his own dry goods store down the street. After Love's death in 1892, A. F. Dietze ran a dry goods store there until a feed store opened by 1910.
1. David Love was elected County Commissioner in 1869 but resigned to concentrate his efforts on his new business.
2. Love's house was later owned by Jessie Daniel Ames, local suffragette and anti-lynching advocate.
2. Eugenia and Don Harrell restored the building and ran The David Love Store for many years, a successful business in downtown.
Photo by David Valdez, 2023
Photo taken in 1984