top of page

17. Stromberg-Hoffman & Co. (1926)

Historic photographs indicate an original storefront of limestone with arched windows and a carved stone cornice. The front exterior was covered with a simple brick façade in the 1920s. This early brickwork was discovered intact beneath the stucco veneer applied in the mid-20th century.

​Additional Information:
This two-story stone commercial building has gone through many changes during its time. It was owned by the Booty Brothers as early as 1888.

Stromberg Hoffman operated as a clothing store for more than 25 years in this location, until it was sold to Ben Neuman in 1938.

​Fun Facts:
1. As early as 1885, the previous building housed the IOOF Hall and offices on the 2nd floor while general merchandise was sold on the first floor.
2. Neuman’s went out of business in the 1960s and Gellman’s opened a store in the building.
3. There is a well in the floor of the main part of the building!

Date: 2023

Image Credit: David Valdez, 2023

Date: 1984

bottom of page