Visible for miles around, the imposing Neoclassical structure is the focal point of the central business district and the fifth structure to serve as the county courthouse. Austin architect C.H Page designed the building, completed in 1911, with copper dome, projecting porticoes supported by Ionic columns, and classic pediment and balustrade detailing. A renovation restoring the pediments and balustrades that were removed in 1965 was completed in 2008.
1. The courthouse was the site of the first successful prosecution of a KKK member in the United States, taking place in September of 1923.
2. The original building and its furnishings cost the county $120,000 when it was built. The restoration in 2007-2008, which restored it to its original beauty, cost more that $9 million dollars.
3. Georgetown’s own suffragette, Jessie Daniel Ames, led a registration drive that brought more than 3,000 women in to the courthouse to register for the first time women were allowed to vote in Texas.
4. The 1910 population of Williamson County was 42,228 - today it is more than 643,000!