The exaggerated parapet and geometric brick pattern distinguish this early 20th century commercial building which was rehabilitated in 1981.
This lot had remained vacant as it was part of the hotel complex and that business had enough land to accomplish their business activities and this created alley access for their operation. It was the last lot to be developed on W. 8th.
The design and selection of construction materials demonstrates initial efforts by the City to make new construction compatible with the flavor of the square and the surrounding buildings.
1. The earlier building on this site was once part of either the Dewey Hotel, the City Hotel or the Alamo Hotel..
2. In 1905 the previous building was part of a bank.
3. There have been numerous owner occupants of the building since its construction so it has been a grocery store, an electric company and office space as it is today for a financial management company.
4. An auto parts store run by H. P. Meyer operated in the building in 1936.
Photo by David Valdez, 2023
Photo taken in 1984