Rusticated limestone masonry, a decorative metal cornice and hood mold over the windows set off the front façade of this prominent corner building. The ground floor storefront was remodeled in 1971. Note the decorative exterior iron staircase leading to a second-story area.
The current building was originally owned by J.A. McDougle and A. A. Booty. Groceries and dry goods occupied the first floor through the 1910s but the Monarch Theater was located here by 1915 and stayed there until at least 1925.
The building was restored in the 1980s and was used as offices by several prominent local attorneys for the next four decades. The recent restoration returned the downstairs area to retail.
1. The building was constructed by Whittle and Talbot and some of the iron work was done by Gus Berquist.
2. The one-story stone building with a wood frame rear portion in 1889 housed Alf Dieckman’s saloon and billiards.
3. A. A. “Gus” Booty was a successful merchant and realtor. He was involved in the founding of the Texas Fuel Company on the square in Georgetown, which was later renamed Texaco.
4. The Law Firm of Barkley, Cutcher & Alderman opened a practice here on October 1, 1971.
5. In August of 1897, McDougle and Bros were advertising "Fancy Groceries" at their establishment.
Photo by David Valdez, 2023
Photo taken in 1976
Photo taken in 1984
Mural in Kilwin's 2023