This handsome limestone structure trimmed with decorative pressed metal was built to house the “Hook and Ladder Company '' (the volunteer fire department formed in 1884+ and to provide space for municipal operations. The building was constructed in an “L” plan around the town’s old metal standpipe which rose 100 feet and held the city’s water supply. The perimeter of the standpipe can be seen beneath the original fire bell, part of a special pocket park.
1. A steel tower was erected on the roof for the fire bell after 1897 and the iron stairway was installed on the south side of the east wing before 1905, which was replaced by a concrete stairway during the 1930s.
2. The standpipe was dismantled and removed in the early 1960s. The area was converted to parking.