top of page

5. Gold Building (1912)

This structure contains several buildings, formerly numbers 107/109 and 111/113. At the turn of the century, single story wooden buildings existed on this site. In 1912, ground was broken for the Robertson Building by Mark Langford and Company of Bertram, using brick to replace the wood frame buildings. The buildings next to this store were later used as a restaurant, a post office, a jewelry store, a barbershop and the Ritz Theater. Around 1939 the building housed Gold’s department Store, which was updated in 1968 to a more modern façade. The 2007 renovation changed the modern 1960’s style to resemble the original 1912 storefronts.

Additional Information:

There were originally three one-story buildings on this site which housed many of the businesses listed above. When ground was broken for the current building on January 1, 1912, it was referred to as the Robertson Building. While Mark Langford & Co. of Bertram was the contractor, George Irvine – a well-known Georgetown builder – was in charge when Langford was not on site. There was a restaurant on the site as early as 1916, occupying one side of the building.

Fun Facts:

1. The Airdome, an outdoor theatre, was used for entertainment on this site in 1910.

2. First established on the square in 1936, Gold’s was the longest continuously family-owned business in Georgetown. It moved to this location in 1949 from the west side of the square.

3. Harry Gold came home from the military in 1946 and joined his parents in the operation of the store.

4. Gold's was known for the tagline "just a conversation away".

Photo by David Valdez, 2023

bottom of page