top of page

60. Masonic Lodge (1900)

With an onion dome spire soaring majestically from the corner tower, the Lodge became a major element in Georgetown’s streetscape and skyline. The Belford Lumber Company selected heavily rusticated limestone to construct the building, which features arched door and window openings, The ground floor first housed a drugstore and, for a time, the Post Office before a furniture store took possession. The Masonic Lodge continued to meet upstairs until 1982 when the building was sold. The balcony is a recent addition.

Additional Information:
A two-story wood framed building stood on this site by 1885, housing the Masonis Hall and a
variety of businesses – including a confectionery and furniture store, before the current building
was contracted. Belford Lumber Company constructed the building in 1900, at a cost of $8,100.
The upstairs was always reserved for the use of the Masonic Lodge, who continued to meet here
until the 1980s. The lower level was used for the post office at one time and later for a drug store
which boasted the earliest soda fountain in town.

Fun Facts:
1. The San Gabriel Masonic Lodge, chartered on May 18, 1851, was the first Masonic Lodge to
be organized in Williamson County.
2. Three different doctors held offices in the upstairs rooms over the years.
3. A hat shop, “Mrs. Walling, Millinery” was located in the building in 1902.
4. The soda fountain was a popular place to visit during” First Monday” events – a monthly all
day sale on the courthouse lawn which brought many visitors to town.

bottom of page